Monday, February 11, 2008

Poor Hazel-rah

K,

I feel for your little bunny. Mickey, my cockatiel at my parent's house, would scathingly attack a 6'4" man (and he has) but panicked when we had ducks in the house once. Not that a dog wouldn't be scary to a bunny. Maybe there is a no-kill shelter near you? Though most shelters won't typically put a dog down, I don't think. I don't really know much. I would say if anything you're not allowed to have the dog at your apartment, and this isn't like the dorms where you could just get fined for it. You guys could be evicted for something like that! Maybe?! I'm making stuff up, but I know it's not a good idea to cross people when they're giving you shelter. (Which is why I contained my temper, barely, when I got in an argument with my landlord the other day.)

On the grandma front? Her sister died and she didn't tell us for days. Alzheimer's or stubbornness, who knows! She was executor of the will, but she couldn't go out to California, so guess who volunteered to go? My uncle! He's gone out to CA to fleece other members of our family as well. I'd call him a nasty name, but I sincerely can't think of a harsh enough name I feel comfortable writing and that describes him. [Insert harsh derogatory name here.]

You know about my uncle and his ways, and for anyone else reading, just know that he is not a good man. At church yesterday there was a pretty poor sermon about general Christian principles that ended up not much saying anything of value. One story spoke to me, however. Apparently when that man went into the Amish school a few years back and shot all those little girls, the Amish forgave him. They not only forgave him, they went to his funeral to morn his death and sent his family some of the money that was donated to them to help cover the hospital costs of the girls who lived. How horrific was that, and still there was such forgiveness. I think my uncle might be the only man I've come close to hating, if I haven't already done so. While he's done horrible horrible things, and continues to do so, he hasn't killed anyone.

I worry that I carry my feelings for him beyond what I should, not even as a Christian, but as a person who needs to let go of things they can't control. I can't control what he does, but I can control my feelings about him. Am I justified in how I feel? Is there any justification for hate? I don't know the answers to these questions.

...Let's take a break from these deep, dark thoughts. I really didn't know I was going there, my deepest apologies for such dark thoughts on a cold Monday. So I was on break this past week, and I've got a lot of catch-up to play! Let's start with current projects today, and I'll try and work throughout the next couple weeks to show everything I've actually been working on and finishing! Sound good? At least it sounds more positive than me griping about my damn uncle.

I did some dying over Christmas of some purple silk and wool yarn that I'd ripped from a lovely sweater.


My yarn is so awesome it has the power to defy gravity and dry side-ways. There was so much yarn that I couldn't dye it all in one go, and had to do separate batches for each skein. This caused a problem where they are slightly different shades.

That should be...fun. To try and fix. Somehow. I'll try knitting up a swatch with alternating strands from different skeins to see how well that works.

My mittens are looking delightful save the fact that they are a bit long...perhaps 1.5 inches longer than the tip of my middle finger.


So what do you think: change the pattern and shorten it, or live and let be? I need some opinions here.

The top down delight is a tad confusing. I'm trying to make it well-fitting with no ease. Not bigger than me and not smaller than me. I've finished one sleeve, and I love it, and I'm down to the point where everything is now in the round, with the added benefit of no rowing out, thank goodness. However, when I try it on, the side with the sleeve just slides off. Apparently the sleeve pulls it off. I'm worried that this is too big with too much of a wide-neck to work. In other words, that it's always going to keep sliding off my shoulders! That's not what I want at all.

I'm wondering if I add the other sleeve will that stabilize it? Will adding the collar around the V-neck stabilize it even further?


So I accidentally spilled some hot chocolate on the yarn I was knitting with, so I chopped it off, put it in a skein, and washed it. Which led to this:


Do you see that color change? I'm assuming that if I wash the entire sweater when it's done that I won't have this color problem, that all of the excess dye will wash out. It's an interesting preview.

Recognize this scarf? Anyone? 500 points if you can name the scarf.


This is a hint about a surprise I'm getting. Can you guess? It's not a dog. 1257 points if you guess this one. (Kris is excluded from guessing, since he already knows.)


I was walking around taking all these pictures the other day when my toes really started to feel like something was jabbing into them. Then it'd get better, then it was prickly again.


Pins in the slippers. This could be a sign that my crafts are really overtaking my life.

But you already knew that.

A

No comments: