Sunday, January 27, 2008

(almost) fair isle success

A,

Look at the happy little knitted design! This project is just running along. Tiny stitches but knit up so quickly.

The yarn is from a lambswool/angora blend sweater that I salvaged. So soft. Yes, it's not traditional fair isle yarn, but I don't think it could get any better than this. I was particularly pleased with how the main color yarn turned out. It has flecks of variegated colors in it that add so much depth. Did I mention how soft it was?


Got to this point and realized that I probably shouldn't have let the purple yarn sit in the ink pot for quite so long. It doesn't pop out as much as it should. But still! Happy stitches all along.

Now for something even more amazing. Fingers! Ones that look halfway decent. This has never happened before. I actually enjoyed the process of knitting these two little tubes up. For some reason, the miniature circumference of the fingers did not seem to bother me.

So for a project that is coming along so well . . . why did it have to happen that I'm running out of yarn? I'm racing to finish the second glove without running out of blue. I guess eyeballing doesn't cut it when determining how much yarn to dye. In fact, I'm afraid I'm going to be quite drastically short. I'm thinking these gloves either have to be re-made to be fingerless, or else they're going to need some variegated finger colors. We'll see how this turns out. It's a little disappointing. I will miss the fingers. Especially considering the fact that this is the first time I haven't minded making the little buggers.

Before I start my next batch of dying, I'll have to keep my eyes out for some type of scale. The truth is, I thought I was dying in excess. My visual ability to approximate yardage leaves something to be desired.

K

No comments: