Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Embroidered Black Stockings

K,

I know we're supposed to wear our beautiful handknits, but I'm almost intimidated to wear these.

It really did take forever.

I think with a lovely black skirt it would really work.

I'm buying shoes to go with it right now.


My favorite.

These make me think of a secret part of myself that I don't usually show. They combine all the good things I like: softness, brilliant color, bold beauty, a classic fashion, and warmth.

Pattern: My own stocking pattern
Sock design/embroidery copied from Over-the-knee stockings by Joan
McGowan-Michael, Vogue Knitting Fall 2006
I didn't want to make these in cotton, and thus, the entire pattern didn't work, as it
used an elastic cotton. Thus, they are heavily inspired.
Yarn: Knitpicks Gloss, Coal
Thread: Silk Thread, 8 strands together, hand dyed
Yardage: 4 balls
Needles: 2.0 mm, size 0
Gauge: 9.5 sts/inch over stockinette
Modifications: Well, it's my own pattern! So everything! It was heavily inspired, as I loved the look, but I really didn't want to make a pair of cotton stockings. The silk and wool blend was so gorgeous for these especially, as I don't plan for them to be exactly hard-wearing, stocky stockings. I'm thinking chilly fall days in skirts stockings. Though right now it's 84 F outside, it has been cooling down lately.

Medical School is kicking my butt. I've taken up sock knitting as a coping mechanism. Other medical students are fascinated by this. Especially by cables. I try to explain that cables are similar to the embryological formation of the aorta and the pulmonary artery. Kinda. Okay, not really. Maybe it's more like the formation of the colon. I don't know. The test isn't until Friday.

A

No comments: