Thursday, September 20, 2007

Decreasing

K,

What decreases are you using? It's hard to read with the fuzzy alpaca, but it looks to be an ssk, and then a k2tog? Am I correct? Let's break down this situation. ssk will never match k2tog, just because of the lie of stitches, and the fact that they are wonky. Look here. Do you see what I mean? Sometimes a k2tog paired with a sl 1, k1, psso works better. The site above lists some other reasons to make the ssk better. Many people enjoy slipping one stitch as if to knit, slipping one stitch as if to purl, and then knitting them through the back. A really good explanation of why there are issues with the ssk can be found here, at Sara's website. A thinker, that one is. You also might try, if the pattern allows, give room for 2 stitches instead of 1 in between your decreases. I see that the center stitch seems to be pulled in multiple directions. This could be alleviated by taking out the center stitch, which I tend to do on mittens, or having two central stitches, which I like on socks. I don't know what you're trying to do, though, or what you do do, which can be very different things if you are me sometimes, and so that perhaps would help.

A

No comments: