Thursday, June 21, 2007

License to Birth

A,
Yesss!!! I am so happy that you have a place to live. I have to do my own searching now, too. I've done some finger research, but I need to start calling/visiting actual apartment places. I got some reviews online, and they're all very inconsistent. One person will love the place, another will liken it to hell. So there's a bit of discrepancy. But you! You have a room with walls and floors and ceilings and real live apartment-mates and a home! How exciting. I will live vicariously through you momentarily. Happiness.

There's this preview I've seen on TV a few times for a Robin Williams movie called License to Wed. You may have seen it. Now, I haven't seen the show, so I may not quite understand the context of the thing, but it struck me as somewhat odd. There's a couple coming to be wed, and in order for Williams to agree to marry them, he has to be sure that they are truly ready for such a commitment. Or some such thing. What I don't understand is, why does he give them the robot babies to play with? Why is it necessary for them to be ready to rear children before they get married? Is this some new requirement I was not aware of? As far as I could tell, the girl was just out of college, quite young, ready for marriage, but does that really mean she has to be ready to birth babies?

It's interesting to me, as I reflect on being recently wed, yet years away from being ready to have a kid. And I liken it also to my own experience. At the time that I got engaged, I was fully prepared to be engaged. I was so ready for that. But was I ready to be married? No. Absolutely not. That came later. One step at a time, you know? I don't think I'm alone in needing to take certain steps to mature. And so it bothers me that the movie makers created a situation like this. I understand that it is entertainment and such comedies are probably not meant to be analyzed particularly in-depth (especially before having seen them), but I don't think I can help it--I like to pick at things.

And I still think it's important! And so I write you.

K

No comments: