Saturday, June 16, 2007

First Yarn

K,

I'm pretty darn excited right now. Because this is what was happening Thursday night when I was upset and watching Colin Firth in Pride and Prejudice.

Oh? What? You want to see more? What about if she were taking a hot, steaming bath the next night?


Maybe too hot? Well, you know what they say. Tough love. Beat 'em up now, they can handle the pain of life better later.


It was hard waiting for her to dry overnight. I mean, she's my first yarn I've made in a decent quantity. Not the very first practice yarn, but still, wool I dyed and spun and will eventually knit with my own hands. That's an exciting day.

She went out to explore the sun after she was dry.


She liked the rocks,


but then climbed past because she saw...

flowers!


Pretty purple blooms

in which anyone would delight to lounge.


Ready to knit, awaiting my needles.

I'm unsure about exactly what I want here. I think I'm going for mittens. I know, I have a lot of mittens, but there's reasoning behind that.

1. I live in a place where it's cold. For a great portion of the year. I really don't like the cold. We all know this.

2. I already have a pair of teal gloves.

3. I already have a pair of sangria mittens.

4. I'm starting new pomegrante-colored thinner yarn which may be more appropriate for gloves.

5. This is thicker, which may be more appropriate for mittens, and is in the teal family.

At least, this is my reasoning.

Specs: ~4 oz. Rambouillet, in Monet's Waterlilies. Look at it and tell me those colors aren't what we're talking about. Okay, I will admit after I plyed it the colors became more muted and teal instead of hints of blue and green with a bit of purple every once in awhile. Imagine if the painting had acetone thrown on it. That's what it is. Worsted weight, 3 ply. Very uneven. ~190 yards. Beat-up method. I mean, seriously. After I put it through hot, cold, hot, cold, hot, cold water, I took it outside and whipped it against the brick of the house. Hard. Multiple times. So hard the yarn stuck to the brick and I had to peel it off at times. MMA hardcore.

I'm working on some cotton dying right now. I'll let you know how it turns out. The first time the colors weren't kaPOW enough for me. This is the second go at it.

Love ya,
A

No comments: