Wednesday, October 5, 2011

ridiculous knitting projects

A,
This has got to be the most ridiculous project ever.


Ridiculous and mammoth and behemoth and gargantuan.


But it is finished.


I think I started this, what? Two years ago?


Let's look at some of those steeks.


And while I'm at it, I might as well transform this from knitting sculpture to actual sweater:


The frustrating thing is that I still have no idea whether or not it will fit me. Even after the steeks are cut and the buttons are in, I have this belly thing that sort of makes everything not fit me at the moment. So I guess I'll have to wait to see.

Do you know what I feel like knitting after this? What would you think, is it a quick project? Another one-week baby sweater, perhaps? No. Lace. I am dreaming of lace. In particular, this Maltese Shawl. Which might seem like another ridiculous thing to knit at the moment.


But let's take a second look. How ridiculous is a lace shawl, considering I just knit a stranded sweater at tight gauge, and I live in a town where the average high in January is sixty-five degrees? Seriously. That was the ridiculous project. And I don't even know if it will fit me.

Lace, on the other hand, is light and airy. Even if it's not the most "every-day" of finished projects, at least it's weather-appropriate. Plus there's no shaping.

I love lace.

Well, I love knitting lace.

Mmm, lace.

I am so glad that stupid sweater is finished. I thought it would never end. You might think that with just the cuffs to go, I would have been motivated to finish it up, but the end was like a long, slow death. And then I had ends to weave in still, and steeks to tack down, and a couple of mistakes to fix. This sweater took me just about forever to finish.

I'll let you know whether or not I end up starting that lace project. I need to wait a week before I will have access to a decent yarn shop.

Karen

PS. I was listening to Symphonie Fantastique today. And then some of Saint Saens' organ symphony. It made me so happy. I love those pieces.

No comments: