Saturday, April 26, 2008

If only I could shrink myself

K,

I've been knitting lots, but just haven't the time to tell you all about it since there has been so many tests. I could go on and on about their unfairness, but wouldn't it just be so much more lovely to look at a baby sweater?

This is the February Baby Sweater from Knitter's Almanac by the ever wonderful Elizabeth Zimmermann. Obviously I've changed this from the typical stitch used, because looking at that stitch pattern, I'd have to do more counting every two rows. Here, with the feather and fan stitch, I only had to count every 4 rows, and even then not very much.

The feather and fan stitch was changed to a 12 stitch repeat. This, however, necessitated a change in the total number of stitches for the body and arms. In order to keep the proportions correct as possible, I added quite a few stitches. I don't remember how many, precisely, but I could count it out if I needed to again. The yarn is my own handspun which you can see here, and it makes the entire sweater very cushy and light.


Pattern: February Baby Sweater, Elizabeth Zimmermann
Yarn: Pink and Blue makes Purple handspun, ~350 yards
Needles: Knitpicks Options circulars sz 5
Mods: Switched out stitch patterns for feather and fan, including sizing changes
Size: 22" chest circumference
I just need some really cute buttons. And someone small enough and cold enough to wear it.

Since it's Iowa in the spring, the weather is delightfully bipolar. Some days it's absolutely beautiful outside, and the birds can't stop singing.


Some days it's jumping between pouring and tornado sirens. (And earthquakes? What in the world?
So even though it's quite lovely to watch and photograph, my head hasn't appreciated this as all, as you can well imagine. I've been working with on and off headaches for the past 3 weeks.

At least there are bewitching clouds.

Struggling through finals,
A

No comments: