Sunday, August 26, 2007

Bulimic Bees

A,
I had to figure out how to upload pictures onto James' computer. But now that I know, way easier than mine. Unfortunately, I've been slacking with my picture taking. I had some views of my drive to school, but they didn't quite turn out the way I wanted. I also took them while I was driving, so that could have been part of the problem. But it's a lovely drive, despite the annoying length. Lots of mountains and scrubby brush and rolling hills. I guess I was expecting AZ to look identical to NM but it's completely different. Far better. I do enjoy the mountains. I mean, they're not ice-capped or anything, but they are lovely.

I found this delightful knitting shop about a mile away from campus. I picked up some alpaca, warm and sooooooft and delightful. I started knitting up a hat with it. Tried to take a picture of it, but the flash made it too bright and without it, it was just a dark blob. I found a link from knitty to this website and subsequent hat and fingerless mitten pattern. Oh, it was so exciting to start up a new project again. Unfortunately, I decided tonight that without a variegated color scheme, it is difficult to pick up the design in the pattern. The eye seems to register the pattern as just stockinette stitch--well, from a distance at least. So I'm trying to decide if it's worth it to keep the pattern in or not.

I've also had this picture on my camera for a while, and I've been meaning to comment on it.

This was on my cereal box. It was a little cartoon of these bees playing baseball. They need a pitcher, so they pull the above bee out of the stands. Not only is he clearly bulimic--I mean, he's holding a pot of regurgitated honey, what else are we supposed to suspect?--but in the end he cheats! He throws the ball, but because his hands are sticky with his own regurgitation, the ball snaps back to him and the batter is unable to hit it. This apparently deems him a hero. I was appalled to find this type of cartoon. What is our world of cereal advertisements coming to?

K

No comments: