Thursday, July 12, 2007

I have strayed

A,

I have been unfaithful to my knitting. Do you remember when I said I was going to make a crazy quilt this summer? Well, it hasn't happened. I don't think it's going to happen. At least for a while. Instead, I started a different quilting project.

Yeah, I decided to tackle something kind of oversized for me and my limited prowess. I've started a watercolor quilt. Not that I'm very far. I have a few tens of fabric choices that I've cut up but I'm nowhere near even being ready to piece anything together. Which is fine with me, since I don't have a sewing machine. Yet.

Here's my other project.



Well, it's just fabric right now, but it will be a dress. This I am attempting completely sans machine. I used one of my other dresses to make the pattern and am almost finished with my mock-up. Looking kind of good so far. I have to say I'm impressed with the speed at which one can (hypothetically) finish a dress by sewing as opposed to knitting. It's not enough to turn me, but I am enjoying it.

Here is the project put on hold that is thoroughly knitted yet not quite done. You know how I hate to sew in the ends. Well, I've decided it's a pain to block as well. I'm going to get this shrug done some day, but for now, it's going to hang around as a nice swatch of lacy goodness.


I never fell for 1984. It didn't convince me. It's strange, I remember liking Fahrenheit 451 much more, yet I remember far less about it. Sometimes when you disagree with something it sticks in your head all the more. Isn't that peculiar? One thing in particular I didn't buy about 1984 was the, well, I guess the main premise of the book: Big Brother. How is it conceivable for every single action a person takes to be monitored? I mean, I remember vaguely toward the beginning of the novel the main character trying to hide from the cameras in his home even before he was linked to suspicious activity. I'm foggy on the details. I'd try to remember them, but I'm too afraid to get them wrong. Basically, what I mean to say is, I don't think it's possible for the government to watch every move that every person makes. I mean, who is watching the people who are watching the people? Where does it end? The book was too unbelievable for me.

The truth is that the government doesn't need to watch every move that every person makes. It's like practicing an entire symphony when all you really need to rehearse is a few measures. Why use a giant wallup to wipe out a tiny blight? Now the government listens only for key words. They don't listen to all the words, just a few. Or maybe all of them, if you're a suspicious character.

I'm not saying that it is okay. Actually, what I was thinking, was how listening in on the phone is any different than opening up a person's mail. As far as I know, that's still illegal and a federal offense. They seem like fairly synonymous crimes to me.

This weekend James and I are going camping in a little corner of New Mexico that actually reminds us of the Midwest. This time I'll take my camera. It's funny how this place looks and feels like up north, and even the people seem like they're from back home. It makes me wonder how climate affects the way people behave. This place actually has some local artists, and even some culture. I wouldn't be surprised if there were knitters up there.

Thank you for your lovely words. Keep on being informed.

K

No comments: