Thursday, July 26, 2007

Bon Voyage!

K,

Wow. I have been a very busy knitter. And embroiderer. And you would think it would make me possibly want to take a short break.

This is not true. The almost finishing of things (but not the actual finishing) makes me want to start new things even more.

However, I present you with the items that are now winging their way to the Iowa State Fair!

My handspun, handmade Monet's Waterlillies mittens. A bit grumbly on the surface, but always a delight. I believe you have the specs on these already. Rambouillet, handyed, handspun, handknit...I like my hands. Handwarmers.


Again, sorry for the picture quality. I need to steal a camera like you need air conditioning. The color is so washed out and weird.

Kris's Gloves! Knitpicks Swish Superwash in Jade.


One of my favourites, Baby Selbu Mittens from a Norwegian Selbu book, which were so delightful to knit that I can hardly wait to start my my larger and smaller gauged adult selbu mittens. These ones are in Henry's Attic Kona with dyed blue and natural cream. A superwash merino. Because it's for a baby. They are messy and fussy.




This came together in the last week before it had to be done, my blue reversible cabled scarf out of Knitpicks Panache in dusk. Let me just say that if I could choose a fiber to knit with the rest of my life, it might very well be this one. It was absolute delight. 40% baby alpaca, 20% fine merino, 20% silk, 20% cashmere all comes together for the softest most beautiful yarn ever. If it wasn't chunky it'd be even better. And in more colors. I mean, what they've done with it doesn't make me happy. But the blend...I could just collapse into that and be happy.



Maybe I'll post the pattern I came up with for it on here sometime. Super easy with just a spark here and there to keep it exciting. This would be a great thing to knit for somebody as a gift who you like enough to spend a normal chunk of money as well as knitting time on them.

And the grand finale are these beauties.





If only you could comprehend how much I love them. I really, really forgot how long embroidery takes me. Especially the leaves. Leaves take so long.

This is more color friendly, but really doesn't capture it at all.

The leaves are a beautiful mix of pink with hints of purple, the flowers are bright bold pink, and the stems and stamens (or french knots) are purple. All on black stockings. The stockings are made with knitpicks gloss which is 70% merino, 30% silk, and the embroidery thread is my own from my silk thread that I dyed and put six strands together for floss. It really hits the spot on the beauty factor in my life that I always like. I'll get more awesome pictures when I can. Here's a little depth perspective.


Those, my dear, have left and are out to the fair. Rereading the directions, I think I was only supposed to include patterns for what I made up, but that was 4 out of the 5, and so I included a pattern for all. Well, for the ones I made up, beyond the scarf, which is simple enough to remember, I wrote what I thought I did. Which is probably not exactly what I did, but I'm a bit of an organic knitter.

I'll have to tell you soon about the Doctor Who Scarf Yarn. The thread that will become yarn, at least. It shall be interesting.

However, I have a migraine, and I'm tired as I woke up at 5:30 today and just got back from work at 5:30, and I'm hot, and thus I'll leave that for another day.

However, a few more things. First, I agree. I have always had major problems with the Martha story. In fact, I have problems with a lot of the Church's interpretations of many of the classic Bible stories. I'll get into that more sometime...but that's really a whole other thing that you don't want to get me going on when I've got a migraine.

Second, Kris and I also went camping last weekend! Cattle stampeded and tried to maul us, rare cattle, but we survived. More on that as well.

Thirdly, I finished the Ultraviolet yarn. I had to adjust the color of it so that you could view it. Because we all know that normally this would be invisible to the human eye.


I hope it doesn't burn your retina's too much.

Off to lots of find pain relievers,
Amy

No comments: